Tour Forteviot Churchyard, Perthshire, Scotland. Forteviot was the site of an important Pictish settlement in the reign of King Oengus.
With the defeat of the Picts by the Scots in the ninth century, Kenneth mac alpin had his palace there. Legend has it that the first
Christian Church at Forteviot was built in response to the visit of Kilrymont, St. Andrews, monks to the valley during the eighth century.
Certainly a basilica existed from the first half of that century. In 1165 William the Lion granted Forteviot to his chaplain, Richard of Stirling.
From early in the thirteenth century, Forteviot was in the Deanery of Gowrie, Diocese of St. Andrews. The rector of Forteviot was a canon of
St. Salvator’s. After the Reformation, St. Andrews University became the patron. The present building, the third, was erected in 1778.
Small Group Tours Of Scotland.
Return To Tour Graveyards Of Scotland
Tour Scotland Homepage