Atholl Memorial Fountain was funded by public subscription
and built in 1866 'to the memory of George Augustus Frederick
John 6th Duke of Atholl'. The Duke had introduced a piped
water supply to Dunkeld, prior to which all water had to be
drawn from the River Tay - hence all the wynds leading to
the water. The Fountain was designed by C S Robertson and
erected on the site of the Market Cross.
changes are apparent over the years, but there is fine detail
in the carvings, which include native animals and birds. Masonic
symbols are also incorporated, the 6th Duke was Grand Master
Mason of Scotland from 1843 until his death in 1864.
to Dunkeld History