Tour Scotland
Home Page

 


Barcaldine Castle

Barcaldine Castle

The L-shaped tower house of Barcaldine Castle, sometimes known as the Black Castle because of its dark stones, is located to the west of the village of Benderloch in Argyll and Bute. It was built in 1609 for Sir Duncan Campbell of Glenorchy (Duncan of the Seven Castles) and remained a Campbell stronghold until it was abandoned in 1735 when the family moved to Barcaldine House. In the late 19th Century the family returned and restored the castle. Campbell descendents still occupy the tower. In 1691 MacIan of Glencoe was detained here by the weather on his way to Inveraray to sign the oath of allegiance to William III.

 



Tour Scotland
Tour Edinburgh
Tour Island Of Skye

Rent A Self Catering Hoilday Cottage In Scotland

Share This Tour Scotland Web Page

Top Destinations
Tour Europe