Stalker is pictureseque four-storey tower house located on an
islet in Loch Laich overlooked by Portnacroish in Argyll and
Bute. Castle Stalker was built on the site of 14th C. fortalice
c.1540 for the Stewarts of Appin. The tower passed to the Campbell
family around 1620, following a drunken wager, returned to the
Stewarts in 1686, but was forfeited in 1690 following their
support of King James VII (1633 - 1701). It was garrisoned by
government troops in 1745, but was abandoned by the mid-19th
C. A major restoration was begun in 1965 by the owner, Lt. Col.
D. R. Stewart Allward, whose family still live in the castle.
to Scottish Castles