Tour Scotland
Home Page


Fife Hotels
Hotels in Fife
Cottages in Fife
Tour Fife Books

 

Old Elie

Self Catering In Elie
Elie Self Catering

The Fife Coastal Path
The Fife Coastal Path

Elie Ness Lighthouse

Elie Winter
Photographs

Earlsferry Beach
Elie and Earlsferry Videos


Tour Elie and Earlsferry Scotland

Tour Elie and Earlsferry Scotland

 

The two villages of Elie and Earlsferry are linked around a natural harbor on the East coast of Fife, and are popular seaside resorts with many facilities to offer both locals and visitors. Gone are the days of the 1800's when the harbor was a bustling port.

Today Elie and Earlsferry have a more relaxed atmosphere where people enjoy windsurfing, sailing and golf. The most famous Elie golfer is James Braid who won the Open Golf Championship five times between 1901 and 1910. Little is known of the foundation of Elie, but it had become sufficiently important to merit the building of Elie Parish Church in 1639. Elie Graveyard.

Earlsferry is a very old village where the ferries used to arrive from North Berwick and other ports on the Lothian coast. The village, however, owes its name to Macduff, the Thane of the Earl of Fife in the 11th century. When Macduff was escaping from the clutches of Macbeth he took refuge in a cave near Kincraig Point until it was safe for a local fisherman to ferry him over the Firth of Forth to Dunbar. Thereafter the village was known as Earlsferry.

Beyond Earlsferry lie the ruins of an old chapel which provided shelter for pilgrims heading to and from the town of St Andrews. There is also an old road leading from Earlsferry which crosses the golf course and was known as " Cadgers Road." This led to the Royal Palace at Falkland and was the route that carriers or " cadgers " took to deliver fresh fish to the Royal Palace. There are many historic building throughout the villages. One of the oldest, known as the " Castle " stands in South Street and dates back to about 1500. Also in South Street is Gillespie House which was rebuilt in 1870 but kept the " Muckle Yett " doorway of an earlier house on this site. Nearby, and in the High Street is the old Parish Church built in 1639 by Sir William Scott of Ardross. Its Tower, with its interesting octagonal shape, was added later in 1726. Elie house built in 1697 was cursed by a gypsy. The curse stated that only six generations of the residents, the family of Anstruther's, would live in the house, and this is exactly what happened.

Elie is ideally located for easy trips to St Andrews, Dunfermline, Culross, Perth, Edinburgh, Falkland Palace,  and all of historic Fife.

Return To Tour East Neuk Of Fife

Return to Fife



Tour Scotland
Tour Edinburgh
Tour Island Of Skye

Rent A Self Catering Hoilday Cottage In Scotland

Share This Tour Scotland Web Page

Top Destinations
Tour Europe