Dumfries and Galloway Hotel Deals
Find the best deal, compare prices and read what other travelers have to say at TripAdvisor
Craig, the granite plug of an extinct volcano, stands ten miles
off the western shore of this land of lochs, moors and high
hills in lowland Scotland. Forested uplands cut by ravines form
the hinterland to the peninsula of The Rhins, and beneath its
rocky spine are gardens where the influence of the mild Gulf
Stream allows subtropical plants to grow.
volcanic island with 19th century lighthouse and castle. Its
bluish granite is source of stones for curling.
garden, hawthorn avenue and wooded walk around 18th century
Ardwell House. The Machars visible across Luce Bay.
bay featuring sea angling and swimming is overlooked by revenue men's barracks of 1820s and by Auchenmalg to the north.
for 'village on the shore'. It was 18th-century smugglers' headquarters.
River Stinchar's tidal creeks and lagoons provide refuge for
terns and other birds.
Carrick Hills village by the Water of Gregg. Red-sandstone church
of 1891 now private house.
mile return walk to 2331ft summit was mentioned in John Buchan's
The Thirty-Nine Steps. Walk begins near Palnure.
encompassing two castles were laid out by Field Marshal Lord
Stair and troops in 18th century. Features terraces, lily pond
and separate gardens of Stair family's Castle Lochinch.
museum has an agate containing drop of water said to be 2 million
years old. Granite clock tower commemorates Queen Victoria's
1897 Diamond Jubilee.
resort, sea angling centre. Seven ancient kingdoms can be seen
from Mull of Galloway. Double Dykes crossing the mull believed
to be work of Picts.
250 miles of countryside topped by 2766ft Merrick. Lochs include
Loch Trool and Clatteringshaws Loch. Features include deer range,
wild goat park, forest trails among glens, waterfalls.
out in 1740s as pleasure gardens for Galloway House, they include
rare handkerchief tree and heronry. Open daily.
fishing centre protected by sea wall, with sea-angling boats
for hire. Village's brightly painted houses are best viewed
from bay road. Galloway House Gardens 1 mile south.
beaches, safe swimming, fishing all attract visitors. Visit
boatyard where wooden fishing boats are built, also distillery.
Killochan Castle, 16th century, lies 3 miles north-east.
century Castle of Park to the west overlooks village from across
Water of Luce. Twelfth century Cistercian abbey ruins retain
chapter house with vaulted ceiling, Gothic windows.
by Water of Minnoch's foaming rapids to reach glen. Road finishes
above the waters of Loch Trool, where Bruce Stone marks 1307
rout of English by Robert Bruce's men. For the energetic, a
path leads 4 miles to the summit of Merrick's 2766ft, highest
point in Southern Scotland.
gardens where exotic trees and shrubs flourish in Gulf Stream
climate. Views over Luce Bay among rocky outcrops and cascading
though unspoiled sailing resort. St Ninian landed on grassy
peninsula (once the isle) in AD 395 on return from Rome. Iron
Age fort, ruined 13th-century chapel.
isolated church where three of Britain's earliest known inscribed
Christian stones stand. Two, praising 5th century priests, were
being used as gateposts.
century castle with keep on western shore. It was moved from
an islet in loch flooded for hydro electricity.
Stream keeps garden of sub-tropical trees and flowering shrubs
virtually frost-free. Note the avenue of Chusan palms.
a suburb of Newton Stewart, though far older. Ruined medieval
church, ivy covered; also sparious 19th-century church. Churchyard
yew is reputed to be 800 years old.
with safe, sandy beaches. Ruined Kirkmaiden chapel contains
local Maxwell family tombs, and plaque to drowned French naval
captain washed ashore 200 years ago. Gavin Maxwell otter memorial
with 250ft cliffs topped by 1830 lighthouse. Views from here
of Lake District, Isle of Man and Ireland's Antrim Hills.
stands above shell of cottage where Alexander Murray was born
in 1775. A self-taught shepherd boy, he became professor of
Oriental languages at Edinburgh University.
town with museum of local history including farmhouse kitchen
and blacksmith's forge. Cree Bridge, built in 1813, backed by
riverside gardens. Old Newton Stewart. Newton
7000 acre hill farm offering afternoon tours. Livestock rearing,
the making of 24 miles of dry-stone walls explained. Livestock
includes shaggy, long-horned Highland cattle, Blackface sheep.
castle with chesspiece tower, enlarged in 1844 by Spencer Boyd.
Mural by William Bell Scott follows curving staircase. Pre-Raphaelite
artists including Holman Hunt and Dante Gabriel Rossetti painted
here. Visits by appointment only.
Logan Fish Pond, excavated 1800, served as fresh fish larder
for Logan estate owners. Land-hungry feudal laird said to have
built up main road above house-top level to drive out locals.
houses line promenade. Ferry link to Ireland before 1862. Irish
elopers were married in 17th-century church. Dunskey Castle
ruin nearby. Old Portpatrick. Portpatrick
road alongside Galloway Forest Park linking New Galloway and
Newton Stewart commemorates Queen's Silver Jubilee of 1977.
Picnic spots, forest trails.
where first Christian missionary to Scotland prayed after arrival
in AD 395. Crosses are carved into nearby rock.
loch is promontory site of herb garden, now featuring 100 species
set in individual beds. Garden planted beside mounded remains
of Soulseat Abbey.
resort, ferry terminal for Lame, Northern Ireland. Castle of
St John now visitor centre. North West Castle, shaped like a
ship, was home of 18th century polar explorer Sir John Ross. Old Stranraer. Stranraer
foot diameter Bronze Age circle. There are 19 stones in the
circle and three boulders set in line in the centre. It is thought
it may have been a burial site. Ruins of Baldoon Castle, 3 miles
south-east, the setting for Sir Walter Scott's The Bride of
priory ruin, said to be built on site of St Ninian's 5th-century
church Candida Casa, or 'white house', retains barrel-vaulted
crypt, roofless nave. Site has been excavated to reveal foundations
of Viking trading settlement, and coins and gaming pieces from
Memorial Stone marks spot where two anti-Episcopalian women
who refused to recant their religion were, in 1685, tied to
stakes in River Bladnoch to drown in rising tide. Working distillery
of 1814, creamery, tiny museum. Old Wigtown. Wigtown Book Town. Wigtownshire
If you would like to visit this area as part of a highly personalized
small group tour of my native Scotland please e-mail me: