Old Innerleithen, Walkerburn and Traquair Old Traquair. Reaching a peak of seven mills in the 1870s, Innerleithen and Walkerburn owe their development, if not their existence, to the worldwide demand for the textiles they produced. In just forty years during the Victorian era, the population of Innerleithen alone grew five-fold and, with the coming of the railway, tourism for the local spa - named after Scott's 'St Ronan's Well' - also contributed to local prosperity. But it couldn't last. The mills have declined and the nineteenth-century fashion for health tourism has long passed. However, this book remembers the glory days, a time when the local choral society staged wonderfully costumed performances of Gilbert & Sullivan and when the Cleikum gathering could command the attention of the whole town and surrounding area. Other sights recalled include the local railway stations, the early golf course (sabotaged by a local farmer), the magnificent mansion house, The Glen, which burnt down in dramatic circumstances in 1905, and the golden jubilee of Walkerburn Co-op in 1913.
To Tour Scottish Borders