Rosslyn Chapel And The Lowthers
gently rolling, seemingly empty landscape of the Lowther hills
makes a tranquil contrast to the busy towns in the north, their
prosperity built on textiles and mines. Yet each has its own
fascination. While Clydesdale is a rich valley devoted to growing
fruit and vegetables, New Lanark is the site of one of the most
exciting ventures in Scotland's industrial history.
stretch of high moorland where government troops defeated Covenanters
in 1680, and leader of the Covenanters -- Richard Cameron --
was killed. The Cameron Stone monument marks battle site.
of a well-preserved Iron Age fort crown hill on east bank of
River Clyde; walled enclosure lies inside ramparts and ditches.
local 18th-century personalities are commemorated in parish
church museum with portraits and mementos: James Boswell, biographer
and friend of Dr Johnson; and gas-lighting pioneer William Murdoch.
Boswell is buried in the family mausoleum next to church.
Haugh Nature Reserve
woodland, parkland and freshwater marsh; haunt of dabbling ducks
and peregrine falcons. Hides give splendid views of waders.
of Lanarkshire's largest Iron Age fort, with Bronze Age cairn
on summit. Fine views over the Isle of Arran and hills around
town and birthplace of explorer Dr David Livingstone; born 1813
in an 18th-century weaver s house in Shuttle Row. Now restored
as The Livingstone National Memorial with mementos, including
journals, surgical instruments and relics from Africa.
300 acres of wooded gorge and parkland with nature trails, woodland,
and river with water-falls. Natural history displays at the
Visitor Centre. Children's zoo and adventure playground.
village surrounds village green in rich farming country. Rare
15th-century crucifixion stone preserved in vestibule of church,
dating from 1794. Wild moorland was invaded by the Caledonian
Railway in 1845, and a new village sprang up to house station
cliffs overhang rocky chasm, through which Mouse Water river plunges.
Impressive three-arched bridge spans gorge; one of highest road
bridges in Scotland, built by engineer Thomas Telford in 1823.
miles of woodland and country walks on the edge of Glasgow, where
ancient breed of white cattle grazes parkland. Handsome 18th-century
lodge, designed by William Adam, once belonged to Dukes of Hamilton.
example of 16th-century military architecture, in picturesque
setting above small River Nethan. Stronghold of the Hamiltons,
supporters of Mary, Queen of Scots; partly dismantled by her opponents
village overlooking grazing land on a bend in the Clyde. Site
of Roman fort. Fragment of 16th-century castle lies opposite
village across the Clyde.
township at foot of 1400ft Mountherrick Hill. Countryside of grassy
hills, described by Dorothy Wordsworth as being 'inhabited solitude'
in 1803. Countryside was favourite hunting ground of James V.
market town on Lugar Water. Bust of James Keir Hardie, a founder
of the Labour Party, stands outside town hall. Local history displays
at Baird Institute Museum. Snuff box collection at Dumfries House,
2 miles west, built by William Adam in 1757 for the 4th Earl of
pass, 114Oft high over Lowther Hills from Crawford to Durisdeer;
one of the finest view-points in the Lowlands.
town with fragment of 18th-century castle; model for Sir Walter
Scott's Castle Dangerous. A coal seam, opened beneath it in the
1940s, reduced into ruins. Earlier castle on site was stronghold
for the warlike Douglas family; clan warriors buried in St Bride's
Wildlife Reserve on both banks of River Clyde, with spectacular
falls and woodland walks. Bonnington Linn is most famous fall;
beloved of poets and romantic painters. Visitor Centre in the
old dyeworks, beside river in New Lanark. Look for badger, roe
deer and red squirrel. Kestrels nest safely on gorge ledges
and wood-land birds include great spotted woodpecker and willow
example of attractive industrial town. Octagonal church (1732)
designed by William Adam, with Covenanters' monument in churchyard.
Hamilton District Museum, housed in 17th-century inn, retains
original stables and Assembly Rooms dating from 18th century.
Clydesdale village, transformed in 19th century from a place of
'rotting peat-roofed hovels' into a charming 'new town' by Alexander
Baillie-Cochrane. Robert Burns visited church, with Norman doorway
dated 1647. Ruined Lamington Tower carries date of 1589.
market town, declared a royal burgh when David I built 12th-century
castle, now vanished. Ruins of 12th-century Church of St Kentigern
survive. People's hero William Wallace said to have lived and
raised his forces here for Wars of Independence. His statue stands
in 1777 parish church.
Moor Country Park
and fishing on the loch, picnic areas and golf on shore, good
walks through woods.
1350ft above sea level, surrounded by bare hills that yielded
lead for centuries. Allan Ramasy Library has records and maps
of mining ventures. Hill-top graveyard has memorial to John Taylor,
who died aged 137, after a century of working in mines. Longevity
attributed to fresh uplands air.
town on edge of moorland, also known as Abbey Green. Priory, founded
by Benedictine monks in 1144, no longer stands.
hills, frequented by sheep and grouse, overlook the Elvan Water,
the Glengonnar, the Wan-lock and the Mennock. Once rich in mineral
wealth; gold and lead attracted miners for centuries.
village of austere buildings, preserved as living museum and memorial
to social reform. Village founded 1785 by Glasgow merchant David
Dale, and the inventor of a spinning frame, Richard Arkwright.
In 1800, Robert Owen (Dale's son-in-law) managed and improved
working conditions, providing schools and homes for workers. Local
history exhibits on display in visitor centre.
post office, opened in 1763, survives as Britain's oldest post
office. Granite monument pays tribute to two declarations made
by the Covenanters -- in 1680 and 1685-- renouncing their allegiance
first to Charles II and then to James VII of Scotland.
town in the Middle Ages. Some weavers' cottages still line older
streets. Powmillon Burn flows through three public parks. Gorge
dominated by 15th-century castle ruin, below which Old Town Mill
is an arts centre.
loch, nature trails, fun park and sandy beaches. Extravagant Hamilton
Mausoleum, built in the 1840s by 10th Duke of Ham-ilton. Huge
bronze doors and multicoloured marble inside. Make a noise and
listen for remarkable echo.
landmark, rising 2335ft. Long climb to summit for views over Lake
District and coast of Northern Ireland.
moorland village, 1380ft above sea level, where gold was once
panned from neighbouring streams. Beam pump is a relic of lead-mining
days. Disused mine is now part of Scottish lead-mining museum.
you would like to visit this area as part of a highly personalized
small group tour of my native Scotland please e-mail me:
to Scottish Castles