Teviotdale and Lauderdale
Scottish Borders, with a gentle, wooded landscape rising to rounded hills is
at odds with its violent history, this border country saw numerous
clashes between Scots and English, as its ruined castles and
abbeys attest. And each year towns like Hawick remember
the stormy past with the Common Ridings. Sir Walter Scott made
the area famous, drawing his inspiration from the countryside
and its people.
Walter Scott's home set above the Tweed. Originally a farmhouse,
Scott largely rebuilt it in 1822. Inside are 9000 book library,
armour collection, historical relics and paintings. Sir Walter
Scott, The Laird of Abbotsford.
and Longcroft Hill-Forts
Iron Age hill-forts built less than a mile apart. They were
constructed about 27 centuries ago to protect their makers'
of stone and stucco houses with 16th-century cross on its green.
Border wars victims were said to have sheltered in Ale Water
caves nearby. Battle of 1545 on Ancrum Moor between Scots and
English still remembered.
bridge over Rule Water has single inn set beside it. Bonchester
Hill, with traces of ancient hill-fort, overlooks bridge.
mansion frequented by Queen Victoria. Inside are paintings by
Canaletto, Gainsborough and Reynolds. Trails explore estate's
wooded hills and lochs.
boulder marks border between Scotland and England. 1370ft Carter
Bar has views of Rubers Law and the Cheviots.
Roman earthwork camps and small permanent fortlet; earliest
camp dates from AD 80 when Agricola, Governor of Britain, was
subjugating fierce local tribes.
killed in 1513 Battle of Findden Field buried nearby. Coldstream
Guards, though not raised here, took their name in memory of
marching through here to defeat Richard Cromwell and place Charles
II on the throne.
with large green set above salmon-rich River Teviot. Victorian
monument honours local scholar John Leyden, plaque honours Sir
James Murray, Oxford Dictionary editor. Denholm Church dates from 1844. Near Denholm the River Teviot flows between the Minto Crags to the north and the more massive Rubers Law and Dunion Hill to the south and east. These localities, like most in the Borders, are rich in legend and history.
abbey ruin, sacked by English invaders in 14th and 16th centuries.
The remains include delicate rose window in west wall. Sir Walter
Scott, Field-Marshal Earl Haig are buried here. Dryburgh Abbey. Annals Of Dryburgh.
of Thomas the Rhymer, 13th-century seer and poet. Wall fragment
of his tower remains, hidden behind a cafe.
rich in legend, rise 1385ft over Tweed valley, suitable for
climbing. Northernmost summit of three hills held largest Iron
Age fort in Scotland, site of a Roman signal station later. Eildon Hills.
Eyemouth is a small town and parish in Berwickshire, in the Scottish Borders, just eight miles north of Berwick-upon-Tweed. The town's name comes from its location at the mouth of the River Eye. The Berwickshire coastline consists of high cliffs over deep clear water, with sandy coves and picturesque harbours. A fishing port, Eyemouth celebrates an annual Herring Queen Festival and Seafood Festival. Tour Eyemouth.
seat of Kerr family. Story of 16th-century frontier fortress
and history of border region. Ferniehirst Castle, the ancient feudal fortress of the Kerrs.
structure with 19th century turrets and domes. Collections of
paintings, porcelain, tapestries and furniture. Walled garden
with herbaceous borders and rosebeds. Floors Castle.
and woollen industry centre has produced wool since medieval
times. Peter Anderson Museum, Borders Wool Centre tell story
of tweeds and tartans. Braw Lads' Gathering recreates town's
past every June. Tour Galashiels.
roofless tower built 1581 by James Seton. Clock-wise staircase
gave retreating defenders advantage of an unhindered sword arm
while attacker's would be hindered. Greenknowe Tower.
town once famous for knitwear and rugby, largely destroyed by English
in 1570. Museum tells knitwear history. Festival of Common Riding
every summer recalls past, when townsfolk rude around town ensuring
other towns had not encroached on their common land. Hawick
Golf Breaks. Old Hawick. Borders Textile Industry.
castle on Hermitage Water. Violent history recalls stories of
death by boiling, drowning and starvation. Mary, Queen of Scots
rode here in 1566 to visit her lover Bothwell, who lay wounded. Hermitage Castle.
residence of Lord Home, former Prime Minister. Grounds are open
to public, stable yard now houses folk museum and craft centre.
Picnic site and paths through grounds.
Queen of Scots stayed here, her house now an information centre.
Jedburgh Abbey, founded 1138, with tower and roofless nave.
Castle jail converted to museum of Victorian prison life. Tour Jedburgh.
at confluence of Tweed and Teviot rivers with wide square, elegant
houses and five-arched bridge. Kelso Abbey, now in ruins, was
founded in 1128 by monks from Chartres, in France. Tour Kelso Scotland.
Yetholm and Town Yetholm
villages in foothills of Cheviots. Town Yetholm is larger, Kirk
Yetholm, where gypsy queens were crowned until 19th century,
is older. Gypsy Palace, a tiny cottage, still stands. Edale to Kirk Yetholm.
and several large inns indicate town's importance in coaching
days. Thirlestane Castle, a turreted sandstone mansion, has
family portraits by Gainsborough and others. Border Country
Life Museum nearby.
retains much original 12th-century interior. Its Norman arch
of red stone is one of Scotland's finest.
house built by William Adam and his son, Robert. Interior features
exquisite ceilings. Italian-style terraced gardens give wide
views of the Cheviots.
clustered around 12th-century abbey, founded in 1136 by David
I .for Cistercian monks. Badly damaged in border wars. Melrose
Motor Museum illustrates vintage motoring. Tour Melrose.
garden and ancient circular dovecote are featured. Twenty acres
of trees, flowering shrubs, herbs and views of nearby river.
Town enjoys an attractive setting amongst the hills on the banks of the River Tweed. The High Street has an old Mercat Cross and the ruined Cross Kirk, standing high above Eddleston Water, was founded in 1261. The Cornice Museum recreates an ornamental plasterer's workshop, while the Chambers Institute features the Tweeddale Museum and Gallery. Tour Peebles.
specialises in flowers suit-able for drying. Unusual strains
of apples are grown, some known since Roman times. Picnic areas
and orchard walks.
of Roxburgh Castle stand above confluence of Teviot and Tweed
rivers. Present village, 3 miles south of original site, has
views of Kelso. Roxburgh Parish. Michael Scott the Wizard.
nearly 1400ft high, is topped by remains of Iron Age fort. Excellent
fort site, no attacking party could approach without being detected
Walter Scott's favourite prospect allows views of River Tweed
curving through woods below peaks of Fildon Hills.
Walter Scott sat as sheriff in town courthouse from 1800-32.
Halliwell House is now a museum illustrating Selkirk history.
The Clapperton Daylight Photographic Studio has photographs
which date from the 1860s. Old Selkirk.
watchtower with 7ft thick walls sits on isolated crag. Surprisingly,
it now houses museum of dolls and tapestries rather than more
honouring Duke of Wellington is prominent land-mark on top of
Peniel Heugh Hill. Built in 1815 by Marquis of Lothian and his
family's ancestral home, now containing museum of border history.
Wilton Park covers 107 acres and has riverside walks, garden,
greenhouses, and scented garden.
of 1388ft once had Roman legions stationed on it; Iron Age people
lived there before that. Good walking in the surrounding Cheviot
If you would like to visit this area as part of a highly personalized
small group tour of my native Scotland please e-mail me: