Tour Scotland
Home Page


Tour East Lothian

East Lothian Hotels
East Lothian Hotels

Lothian Golf Breaks
Lothian Golf Breaks

East Lothian Maps
East Lothian Maps

Dirleton Castle East Lothian

East Lothian

Dunbar East Lothian

Lennoxlove House East Lothian

North Berwick East Lothian

John Muir
John Muir

Old East
Lothian Villages

The Lothian and Borders Police Pipe Band
The Lothian and Borders Police Pipe Band

Lost Railways of
the Lothians

Lothian Schools Strathspey and Reel Society
Lothian Schools Strathspey & Reel Society

Lothian Mines

Lothian Scottish
Dance Band

Lothian Scottish Dance Band

Lothian Steam


Tour East Lothian

Aberlady
Neatly restored 17th to 19th century rubblestone houses line main street. Parish church has 15th century square tower and pyramidal spire: on pavement outside is a 'loupin-on-stane' mounting stone used by farmers' wives to get on horses. Main road leads to Aberlady Bay, expanse of salt marsh, dunes and creeks.

 

Dirleton
Cottages and houses from 17th, 18th and 19th centuries and 12th century church line three sides of wide green. On fourth side are ruins of 13th century castle built on outcrop of rock with drum towers, kitchen, chapel and ruins of Great Hall. Gardens with 17th century bowling green.

Drem
The Chesters Iron Age fort with multiple ramparts and ditches. Situated unusually in low-lying land beneath a steep scarp.

Dunbar
Red-sandstone tower and scattered ruins of 11th-century castle overlook fishing harbour with cobbled quays, restored warehouses and coastguard station. Mary, Queen of Scots was brought to the castle in 1567 by Earl Bothwell. Lauderdale House, part-extended by Robert Adam, at end of High Street, while at No 126 is a museum dedicated to the conservationist John Muir, who was born there in 1838. Dunbar Golf Breaks. Old Dunbar.

East Fortune
Museum of Flight on airfield houses Vulcan bomber, 1930 Dc Havilland Puss Moth and Piper Comanche flown by Sheila Scott, holder of 94 world records in 1970s. Photographs of airship which made first double crossing of Atlantic from here in 1919.

Garvald
Tucked away in valley beside Papana Water. On church wall are jougs, iron collars used on miscreants. Above village is Nunraw, 16th century tower house built into 19th century mansion.

Gifford
Laid out by the 2nd Marquis of Tweeddale early in 18th century: 1708 church in wide main street. Avenue of limes to Yester House, built 1745 by Robert Adam.

Gullane
Famous Resort with three golf links, including Muirfield course. Exhibition shows game's development since 15th century. Gullane Golf Breaks.

Haddington
Gracious town of wide streets, dating from 1100s. Town House of 1748; 15th century church. home of reformer John Knox. Carlyle's House, named after Thomas Carlyle, has fine facade. Restored rooms of Jane Welsh, who became his wife, in house nearby.

Lennoxlove
Mansion set in woodland looking towards the Lammermuir Hills. Named after Frances Stewart, 17th century Duchess of Lennox, model for Britannia on coinage. Good rooms, one lined with 17th century damask. Dutch, Italian and English paintings, porcelain and furniture. Duchess's work box, inlaid with mother-of-pearl, was gift from Charles II. Mansion is now family home of Dukes of Hamilton. Anteroom has death mask of Mary, Queen of Scots.

Longniddry
Mining village for 500 years until 1920s. Golf links and rocky shore. Gosford House, seat of Earl of Wemyss. Longniddry Golf Breaks.

Musselburgh
Musselburgh has a population of 18,000 and is the largest town in East Lothian. This book looks at the town and its people over the last 150 years and includes many unpublished photographs of Musselburgh at work and play. The town's industrial heart centred on paper, wire and cotton mills, fishing, tanning and golf club manufacture. Musselburgh Revisited (Britain in Old Photographs).
Old Musselburgh.

North Berwick
Narrow streets lead down to tiny harbour flanked by fine beaches, with ruined 12th century Auld Kirk by harbour wall, Safe anchorage for yachts and fishing boats, bathing often dangerous. Golf courses surround village below 613ft volcanic pyramid of North Berwick Law, crowned by watchtower from the Napoleonic Wars and arch of whale jawbones. Tough climb to top with impressive views. Boat trips to islands of Fidra and 350ft Bass Rock. North Berwick Golf Breaks. Old North Berwick.

Preston Mill
Restored 1600s water-driven mill with wheel 13ft across. Nearby 16th century Phantassie Doocot (dovecote) has circular walls with sloping, horseshoe-shaped roof.

Scottish Airfields in the Second World War The Lothians. This very well written and researched book deals with the 6 airfields in the Lothians of southern Scotland during the second World War. The importance of this area and the major air defences that were deployed was due not to the Forth Bridge, which Hitler wished to maintain as a means of communication after he had invaded,but the naval dockyards at Rosyth and in other areas of the Forth estuary. Although the area was bombed early in the war it escaped relatively lightly as it was at the extreme range of German bombers who had to operate without fighter cover. The 6 airfields detailed are Drem, East Fortune, Kirknewton, Lennoxlove, Macmerry and Turnhouse, now Edinburgh International airport. Scottish Airfields in the Second World War Vol 1 - The Lothians: Lothians v. 1 (Airfields Series).



Tour Scotland
Tour Edinburgh
Tour Island Of Skye

Rent A Self Catering Hoilday Cottage In Scotland

Share This Tour Scotland Web Page

Top Destinations
Tour Europe