Tour Glen Isla
Forter Castle Glenisla, Scotland.
Photographs of Glenisla, Scotland.
Photographs Parish Church Glenisla, Scotland.
parish is about 18 miles long by 6 miles wide and contains about
40,000 acres. It is bounded on the north by Crathie and Clova,
on the east by Kirriemuir, Lintrathen and Airlie, on the south
by Alyth, and on the south and west by Alyth and Kirkmichael.
The parish occupies the glen of the river Isla, terminated at
its north end by the mountains separating Forfarshire from Aberdeenshire.
In their general character, the people are sober, obliging and
industrious; much attached to their native glen, and to one
another; attentive and hospitable to strangers, and charitable
to the wandering poor. There are about 3960 cultivated acres
and 30000 uncultivated. The cattle are of the Angus and Highland
breeds. The sheep are blackfaced, bought for the most part when
young, from the Linton and Lanark markets. The nearest post
office is at Meigle, but there is a sub-office at Alyth, the
nearest market town. There are 3 schools in the parish, and
a library in connection with the Sabbath schools. There are
2 fairs in the parish, and 4 inns. The fuel consists chiefly
of peats." (edited from The New Statistical Account of
Scotland, Angus, 1842)
Isla is the most westerly of the Angus Glens.
Glen Isla Ancestry Tours.
To Tour Angus Region