Village, once Victorian health resort with sulphur springs,
now famous for the Highland Museum of Childhood, a doll museum housed in remains of baths complex.
Dolls, teddy bears, games and toys spanning 150 years on display,
as well as other features of Victorian nursery such as baby
clothes, lace and cradles.
is also the Eagle Stone and early 'Class 1' type stone, with
the symbols cut into a rough boulder (7th-8th.c.) It stands
on a small, possibly man-made, mound. A horse-shoe and a bird
are cut on one side.
curative properties of the sulphurated waters here were first
noted in 1772, when Dr Donald Munro gave a paper on the 'Castle
Leod Water' to the Royal Society. Their popularity took off
with the arrival of the railway in 1885. Many buildings associated
with the heyday of the spa can still be seen, including the
Spa Pavilion, pump room and gardens, which are in the process
of renovation. The waters can be tasted in the village square.
Strathpeffer is Knockfarrel Hillfort. This had substantial ramparts
made of stones with a timber frame, enclosing a large area and
making good use of the natural defences of the hill-top. At
some time, the timber of the walls was set on fire, creating
enough heat to melt the rock. This vitrification can be seen
all around the perimeter of the fort.
The historic Strathpeffer Golf Club is worth a visit for its glorious views, even if you don't play golf! It also boasts the longest drop from tee to green of any course in Scotland. Strathpeffer
The Strathpeffer and District Pipe Band and local Highland dancers perform in the square every Saturday from end May to September, and this is a popular gathering for both visitors and residents. Nearby is Castle Leod, seat of the Earl of Cromartie, Chief of the Clan Mackenzie, which is now open to the public several times a year.
Rails to Kyle of Lochalsh: Story of the Dingwall and Skye Railway Including the Strathpeffer Branch (Oakwood Library of Railway History) The reasons for building such an expensive railway in such a sparsely populated area can be explained by looking at the background of the Highland Clearances and later, the will to arrest further depopulation in the Highlands. Subsequently a branch off the 'Skye Line' was constructed to Strathpeffer in 1885, the history of this branch is included. Sadly, the Strathpeffer branch closed in 1951, but despite scares in the 1960s and 1970s that the 'Skye Railway' might suffer the same fate, the railway has survived. This title has an A5 format, 344 pages, and 200 illustrations. It is casebound with a gold-blocked spine and a laminated colour dust jacket with colour endpapers, which show the route of the railway.