The mid-13th Century Yester Castle stands on a promontory at the junction of Hopes Water and a stream. Little now remains above the ground except for a stretch of curtain wall. The original castle was triangular in plan, approached from the south where a wide ditch turned the promontory into an island. The ruined gatehouse seems to have had two flanking towers but the most remarkable feature of Yester is the underground chamber.
Known as Goblin Hall, it is reached by a flight of steps and is about 37 feet long by 13 feet wide, with a high pointed vaulted roof and staircase leading down to a well and bolt-hole in a nearby gulley. The castle is situated in the grounds of Yester House, a finely proportioned mansion by William Adam built in 1745. It is the seat of the Marquess of Tweeddale, but the lands of Yester House have
been in possession of the Gifford and Hay families from at least the 12th Century. It was an early Gifford, Sir Hugo, who was thought to be a wizard, who built the Goblin Hall in the 13th Century. Yester Castle, Gifford, East Lothian, Scotland.
to Scottish Castles